Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Slamming Yam Pancakes

    Turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, yams with marshmallows, green bean casserole, pumpkin pie.............zzzzzzz. I know there are millions of people that will be preparing this menu a week from tomorrow, Thanksgiving day. I get it. Millions love these somewhat dusty uninspired dishes. They are tradition. They are safe and comforting and all that. 



I dig that. I grew up with it too. My mom was not much of a creative force in the kitchen. She was always perfectly happy to head right to these go to dishes. I, however, am not that girl. In fact, I am not a huge turkey fan. The thought of drowning those perfectly harmless green beans in canned soup makes me a little misty and, well, marshmallows on sweet potatoes?????? 

I am  always looking for new ways to spin those traditional dishes so they are fresh and new but still maintain the traditional profile. I have made acorn squash stuffed with sausage with a maple glaze instead of yams. I have swapped celery root or parsnips for the plain old mashed white potatoes. And have grilled my green beans, saving them from the undignified mushroom soup death!

I will be honest. I do not like sweet potatoes (or yams. they are different vegetables but have very similar flavors. Yams tend to be more yellow while sweet potatoes are more orange) in spite of my gigantic sweet tooth. I'm not crazy about the texture and they are simply too sweet for me and the idea of putting more coyly sweet marshmallows on top........yikes. Years ago I decided to tackle the sweet potato makeover and  the result was such a huge success that my family and friends expect nothing less at the Thanksgiving table.

I give you sweet potato ( or yam) latke. Latke are traditionally a crispy potato  pancake made from white potatoes. Serve them with the traditional garnishes, a dollop of sour cream and some lovely bright applesauce. Your guests will go nuts for these and they are easier and healthier than you think when you follow recipe #2 below. 



Sweet Potato Latke #1 
      Serves  6

4 large sweet potatoes or yams
1 medium onion
3-4 egg whites
Salt and pepper
Sour cream and unsweetened applesauce for garnish
Peanut or Canola oil for frying.

  Peel and shred sweet potatoes. I use a box grater but a food processor will work fine too. Keep them submerged in cold water until just before ready to prepare. Dice onion to a fine dice. Drain and squeeze the water out of the sweet potatoes with a paper towel and combine with onion, egg whites, salt and pepper. In a large frying pan, heat oil to 375 degrees. Press a ball of potato mixture about the size of a golf ball flat and gently drop in to oil. Do not over crowd the pan or the pancakes will steam more than fry and will not be as crispy or brown. Cook for about 3 minutes per side and then drain on some paper towels. Serve with sour cream and apple sauce.

Sweet Potato Latke #2 (you will need an electric waffle iron)
    Serves 6

These will not be quite as crispy as the ones fried in oil. However, they do have considerably fewer calories and they can be done more easily while you do other things because they do not require your undivided attention.

Heat waffle iron then spray thoroughly with non stick cooking spray. Prepare potatoes as in the previous recipe. Press a layer of sweet potato mixture into waffle iron and close. Cook until pancake is golden brown outside and tender inside. ( my iron took about 15 minutes on high but it is old. You may have to experiment a bit with your own)  Divide in to 4 pancakes. Serve with apple sauce and sour cream. 

These can be made slightly ahead of time and kept warm in the oven until ready to serve. However, do not make too far in advance or they will get soggy. 

Please visit Utensils Cooking School on facebook to see upcoming class schedule, grab some great tips, and see pictures from past classes. 

Follow our blog for informative articles, product and cook book reviews, recipes and fun ideas for parties and entertaining.

No comments:

Post a Comment